Welcome to Ste-Agathe Historical Society

History

A Brief History of the Ste. Agathe Historical House

The most important fact about our historical house is that it is an actual site home; that is, it was not moved there from some other location. Based on oral testimony from some of the oldest citizens of the town, the society started its research into the actual building and property which makes up the site of our historical house. From Mr. Donat Michaud (age 89), Joseph Morin (age 86), and Joe Chasse (age 83), we learned that they had always remembered the house being where it is now located.  They also kept referring to it as "la vielle place a Andre Pelletier." At the Registry of Deeds in Fort Kent we found a deed for the said property and house from Andre Pelletier to his son, Leandre. The deed was dated December 11, 1888. Even more interesting was a descriptive phrase in the deed describing the property as, "...being my homestead on which I have lived for the last thirty-four years past." That being so, we can therefore assume that perhaps the actual structure of the house could date as far back as 1854. [The structure being thus described is the left portion of the actual historical house. The right side, "la grand Maison" was actually built much later.] In 1876, the residents on Long Lake were all foreclosed by the Hinckley family for being squatters on their property. The case went to court, and finally in the late 1880's the court ruled in favor of the squatters and the state of Maine then gave warranty deeds to the inhabitants. At this time Leandre Pelletier was the owner of the property. The State of the Maine deed was granted to a Leon Pelletier. (Another example of a French name being Anglicized.) Two years later, 1892, Leandre Pelletier died unexpectedly and  willed his property to his surviving brothers and sisters. One of these sisters, in 1911, sold the house and adjoining property to Nere Picard. He held on to the property until 1916. It is within this time span that Nere Picard built on the extension to the house, known to us as "la grand Maison." Later the property was sold to the Rev. Raoul Bourbeau, who in turn sold it to an Xavier Deschaine Jr. The Rev. Bourbeau also kept part of the adjoining property which he sold to the diocese of Portland to make a new parish cemetery. When Mr. Deschaine was unable to pay off the balance due on the house, the Rev. Bourbeau foreclosed and then resold the property to Jules Marquis in 1927. Jules Marquis' widow, Lucie, deeded the property to her son Ligorie, who held it with his wife Annie until 1966. At the time of Mr. Ligorie Marquis' death, he had willed the property to his wife, Annie, and her son Clarence Marquis as co-tenants. In 1978, being the sole surviving tenant, Clarence Marquis sold the property for $4,500 to the newly established Ste. Agathe Historical Society.

 Preservation Center

Preservation Center

Make a donation! PayPal your gift to StAgHS77@yahoo.com .

About Us

image1

Our organization is dedicated to the preservation of our local history.  We discover and collect materials and make local historical information and materials accessible to those interested in their own historical origin.  Our Preservation Center houses our extensive collections of religious, educational, farming, and local artifacts used by the early inhabitants of this small Northern Maine community.  The early inhabitants of the town were of French-Canadian, and Acadian roots.  We are also proud of our large genealogical collection of local families.

Ste-Agathe Convent

image2

  • On September 16, 1904, Sister Marie Therese, Superior, Sister Anseleme, Sister Victorine and Sister Euphrone answered the call to establish a mission in Ste.  Agathe, in the State of Maine.


Subscribe

Sign up to receive a copy of our annual newsletter!

Contact Us

Drop us a line!

Get Involved!

Use the form on the left to contact us directly with questions. You can also contact us if you're interested in volunteering or donating to the collection!

Ste-Agathe Historical Society

Saint Agatha Historical Society, P.O. Box 237, Saint Agatha, Maine 04772, United States

(207) 543-6911

Hours (June-September)

Historical Site opens mid-June each year, please check with us for exact opening dates.
Last open weekend of the season is Labor Day Weekend.